Friday, December 18, 2009

Domestic day.

Since Yule dinner is going to be this Sunday, I have a lot of cleaning up to do today. Dishes need washing, some food needs to be prepared in advance, a kitchen to be rearranged so that it comfortably seats 3 instead of just 2. And all of this (or at least most of it) has to be done by about 6:45 tonight, since that's when Rachel will be home from work and we'll be getting ready to go to a show that my parents bought us tickets for.

Hectic day!

So here I sit with my hair covered with a nice cotton wrap (I'm the flavour of pagan who covers her head, you see, out of respect and rememberance of my deities), trying to decide whether I should wash some dishes and then bake bread and then wash dishes again, or bake bread then wash a large load of dishes. One's more efficient, but it also means I do a lot of dishes in one stretch, which I don't much like doing.

Maybe I'll be good to myself first and have a bit of a snack and drink my tea before I begin. Another 15 minutes probably won't hurt anything, especially considering I didn't get a chance to eat breakfast before I ran out the door for job orientation this morning. I ought to fuel my body before I tackle all this housework.

Not just fuel my body. Take care of my body. For too long now I've let this vessel I call myself turn into something weak and flabby, and I don't like it. Nothing will change it but me, and I'm going to be living in it for the rest of my life, so I really ought to take better care of the thing before it's too late. I already have health problems that stronly affect my life, and I don't want to make things worse for myself if I can help it.

If I have the time today after baking bread, making chicken soup, and cleaning, I think I'll also make some johnnycakes. I've been dying to try them ever since I found a recipe over a year ago, and even if Rachel doesn't like them, I expect I will, so they won't go to waste.

And that's enough blathering from me. Time to drink my tea and get to work!

~ Ria, that happy heathen.

No comments:

Post a Comment