Friday, February 12, 2010

First week = done!

Today marks the end of my first week back at work, and also that a third of the assignment is already over. The days may have passed slowly at times (especially after lunch), but the week just flew by, and it's hard to believe that it's over already.

For the curious, what I've been doing is working for the local branch of the Red Cross, processing donations for Haiti relief. The government has pledged to match the amount of money donated by individuals (companies and anonymous donations don't count), but there's a deadline to be met in order to get that matched money. The deadline is a week and a half away now, and there's still a ton of work that needs doing.

Hence hiring a few temp agents to do some data entry.

I didn't donate money to Haiti. Though perhaps it's more accurate to say that I couldn't donate money, seeing as how I had none to donate. But even though I'm being paid for the work rather than volunteering (I don't even know if they'd take volunteer data enterers), I know that I'm still helping out, since every donation I process is going to be matched. Every $10 that I enter into the system, $20 goes to Haiti.

And thanks to a donation I processed that was over $20000, that's a heck of a lot of money going to help people!

Yes, that donation was made by an individual. Bless them, whoever they are. And blessings upon all who gave up time or money to help others, this time and every time in the past and every time in the future.

1 comment:

  1. You never know, there might be extra work after this... It sounds like interesting stuff, especially seeing the bigger donations!

    I donated through ING, using money from one of my accounts, and it is going to be matched by them and possibly the Canadian government too. So no amount is insignificant when it gets doubled or tripled :-)

    ReplyDelete